Bridge replacement/body hole

Let's talk guitars! Show us pictures of your projects, new acquisitions and future hopefuls to join your herd.
rekrdskratcher

Bridge replacement/body hole

Postby rekrdskratcher » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:41 pm

Let me first start out by saying that this will probably be a lot easier with pictures... I will post as needed, but I wanted to get my thoughts out there first...

I managed to score a decent deal on a T-60 body with no hardware, and I apparently misread the post with replacement parts listed - I thought I could actually use this entire bridge as a replacement bridge, but I now realize that was referring only to the saddles, technically.

The issue, of course, is that this aftermarket bridge is just too short - I don't care about the original bridge mounting holes (I can fill those), but the area directly below the bridge where the holes are drilled for the strings to pass through the ferrules has that routed-out chunk, and unfortunately the positioning for the mounting screws on the Gotoh bridge land far too close to the edge of that cavity for me to feel comfortable trying to install it anyway - so what I'm wondering is, do I try and lay in a custom piece that I'll have to redrill the body holes through (which still means the mounting screws would be pretty close to a "seam" between the body and glued-in piece), or do I dare route out more and lay in a larger piece? I know at this point it's not like I'm keeping it very much "stock" T-60 (my pickup and wiring choices will likely make some people faint and I'm using a Tele neck), but modding the body that way worries me...

rekrdskratcher

Re: Bridge replacement/body hole

Postby rekrdskratcher » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:35 pm

Ignore the toothpicks (or don't! Stare into them until they stare back into you!) - anyway, I think you can just barely see the gaps I'm talking about circled in red...

t60-1.JPG
t60-1.JPG (116.66 KiB) Viewed 143 times

...and then with the bridge off is the routed-out chunk where the strings pass through (side note: what's the reasoning for that rather than just holes through the body?)

t60-2.JPG
t60-2.JPG (75.29 KiB) Viewed 143 times

Do I risk it as is? Glue in a chunk to fit the existing routed-out piece and drill back through for the string-through? Route a bigger piece out and then glue in bigger piece and re-drill the string-through holes?

walterdc

Re: Bridge replacement/body hole

Postby walterdc » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:09 pm

Welcome aboard!
My first suggestion would be to find a stock bridge assembly. Having said that you do have some options.

The body route is there to accommodate a protrusion in the original bridge assembly.

You can make a piece and glue it into that space or you can leave it open. The screws are going to go in deep enough that it shouldn't be a problem. There is enough of the bridge resting on the body to make it solid. Keep in mind that the black pieces where your toothpicks are inserted are plastic. They are just glued in place and will sometimes come out with a little coaxing.

You could rout a larger space but if you ever wanted to put a stock bridge on it, that could be a problem.

A tele neck is a direct drop in replacement. I have one on my T60 and have put them on several without a problem.

Im not sure what your plans are for this but there are lots of fun things you can do with a T60 body. I've modified several as have others on the forum. Chip has modded too many to count. If you never plan to make a stock T60, your imagination is the only thing that will limit you. I'll attach a couple of pictures at the end. If you want to make one like the first picture, I can share the steps with you

No matter what you decide, have fun with it. Share pics of your progress, everyone here likes to see pictures.

If I can help in any way, feel free to send me a message.

Walter

Image Image
ITOC# 10-00254 2 custom Peavey t60's, and assorted other guitars, hand built Trinity tweed amp

Return to “Guitar Talk”