New T-60

Let's talk guitars! Show us pictures of your projects, new acquisitions and future hopefuls to join your herd.
chiptodd

New T-60

Postby chiptodd » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:44 am

Lately, Peavey has been clearing out some of his buildings around Meridian in order to donate them to charity. He is separating out hardware to put into his parts department and cleaning the buildings. He recently cleared out a building in downtown Meridian, one of which I was unaware. In it, he found an unexpected Walnut T-60 with about everything except pickups on it. It was obviously one that wasn’t legit, as it had a Walnut, machine-carved neck, controls on the pickguard, and no serial number. The only other Walnut neck was the one I made, (with his permission) for my serial number 0000002. He called to tell me that he was sending it to me and that I could do whatever I wanted with it. This is the second time that he’s left me speechless with a Walnut T-60. and I decided to make a basslet out of it to be a mate to the ’02 one. I will have to cover the control pocket in the front and veneer American Black Walnut over the front, to match ’02. T. Guess I’ll put the pickguard in my stock, as I have been having to cut them out of black pickguard stock, up to now. The tuning keyholes will have to be filled with Maple doweling and the peghead veneered front and back before drilling bass keyholes with a Forstner bit. Since I’ll be veneering the body, I believe that I’ll rout some lightening cavities in the back and cover them before veneering. Of course, it’ll have to be glossy to match ’02. I’ll happily trade two covered-blade pickups and a complete T-60 bridge for two good exposed-blade pickups for a T-60, and four “P” knobs. A bass benefits greatly from the treble overtones the T-60 pickups produce. Since the T- 60 and T-40 have the same number of turns of wire around the bobbins, the volume is the same for the T-60 and T-40 pickups.
I can never properly repay Hartley for letting me have so much fun designing and still rewarding me for my loyalty to the brand. One of the few people in the World I’d do anything for. Chip
Attachments
DSCF3250.JPG
DSCF3250.JPG (3.82 MiB) Viewed 104 times
Chip Todd, (409) 354-9094 Scam filter active, so give ID
208 Dover Lane, Friendswood, TX 77546
chiptoddguitars@gmail.com

walterdc

Re: New T-60

Postby walterdc » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:52 pm

Very nice Chip! I can't wait to see it when its done. If I had the pickups and knobs, I would definitely send them to you. I'm sure that someone has what you need to make this project happen.

Talk to you soon,
Walter
ITOC# 10-00254 2 custom Peavey t60's, and assorted other guitars, hand built Trinity tweed amp

strummer

Postby strummer » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:37 pm

Those classic Peavey guitar parts are getting harder and harder to come by.

joebob

Postby joebob » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:01 pm

Go Chip Go :D
CUZ ITOC#08-00199

Frank N. Peavey
Site Admin

Postby Frank N. Peavey » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:29 am

That is awesome Chip! I'll check my part box in storage. I'm positive I have a set of blade pickups and would gladly trade them for toasters. I know I don't have any P knobs though.
Tony
ITOC #05-00013

T-63, 5 T-60s, Hydra, Mantis LT, Mystic, Odyssey, 3 Patriot tremolos, Patriot Bass, 2 Predators, 2 Raptor I, Razer, Reactor, Retro Fire, 3 Rockmasters, 2 Bandits, Backstage, Vypyr 30, Vypyr VIP 2.

Return to “Guitar Talk”