RIP Leon

This is where we discuss anything and everything...well, except for politics and religion. Find some other board for those arguments.
jethro

RIP Leon

Postby jethro » Thu May 30, 2019 6:18 pm

Leon Redbone has passed.

I first saw him on Saturday Night Live. I was pretty young when he first appeared. He had a tuba for his bass section in a quartet and he was playing a little parlor guitar.

I thought it was Dan Akroyd in a skit at first, because I was11 or 12 years old and had not been exposed to much beyond what was on the radio or Elvis movies.

strummer

Re: RIP Leon

Postby strummer » Fri May 31, 2019 4:47 am

Great remembrance, Jethro. That jogged my memory.

I remember seeing that Saturday Night Live performance and wondering if it was some sort of gag or someone famous in disguise.

Back in the days before the internet it took a long time to figure out the deal with Leon Redbone.

Frank N. Peavey
Site Admin

Postby Frank N. Peavey » Fri May 31, 2019 10:01 am

I remember watching that performance as well. At first I thought he was Frank Zappa.
Tony
ITOC #05-00013

T-63, 5 T-60s, Hydra, Mantis LT, Mystic, Odyssey, 3 Patriot tremolos, Patriot Bass, 2 Predators, 2 Raptor I, Razer, Reactor, Retro Fire, 3 Rockmasters, 2 Bandits, Backstage, Vypyr 30, Vypyr VIP 2.

K Harlan

Postby K Harlan » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:35 pm

I saw that, too. Changed my thinking a bit. I didn't expect to like it, but I really enjoyed it and always looked forward to seeing him pop up.

Don't think I ever had the opportunity to see a full show of his.
Kevin

''83 T-60, Patriot, Jim Adkins Tele, Homebuilt Strat (not by me), Marvel Archtop, Gibson flattop, Epiphone Mandobird, and a number of guitars that come and go...

Return to “General Discussion”