Question for Chip or anyone about milling wood

Let's talk guitars! Show us pictures of your projects, new acquisitions and future hopefuls to join your herd.
Moukari

Question for Chip or anyone about milling wood

Postby Moukari » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:18 pm

I know Chip has done some milling of T-60 bodies in the past. Just wondering if you would recommend using a router bit or an end mill for the best results? I have a hobbyist mill (Grizzly 0704) and have a couple projects in mind. Thanks! :)
- Dave

Proud owner of way too many guitars...

walterdc

Re: Question for Chip or anyone about milling wood

Postby walterdc » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:42 pm

Moukari wrote:I know Chip has done some milling of T-60 bodies in the past. Just wondering if you would recommend using a router bit or an end mill for the best results? I have a hobbyist mill (Grizzly 0704) and have a couple projects in mind. Thanks! :)

I haven't used a mill but it would seem to me that it would be better to use one. The bit is fixed in position and the piece is moved as opposed to a router. The one I hollowed out I used forester bit to hog out material and finished it with a router. Appearance wasn't critical since I was putting a back on and making it a hollow body.

Good luck,
Walter
ITOC# 10-00254 2 custom Peavey t60's, and assorted other guitars, hand built Trinity tweed amp

Moukari

Postby Moukari » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:07 am

Thanks, Walter. I was wondering more what type of bit to use in the milling machine. I have some cheap router bits I can sacrifice if they'll work in place of my spendy end mills.
- Dave

Proud owner of way too many guitars...

walterdc

Postby walterdc » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:38 pm

Moukari wrote:Thanks, Walter. I was wondering more what type of bit to use in the milling machine. I have some cheap router bits I can sacrifice if they'll work in place of my spendy end mills.

Give Chip a call. Im sure he would be happy to help. I misunderstood the post, my apologies. I don't have a milling machine but have been looking into getting one.

Walter
ITOC# 10-00254 2 custom Peavey t60's, and assorted other guitars, hand built Trinity tweed amp

Return to “Guitar Talk”