Tone Control Reduces Volume?

This is where we discuss anything and everything...well, except for politics and religion. Find some other board for those arguments.
fcdefelice

Tone Control Reduces Volume?

Postby fcdefelice » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:26 pm

Just received a mint 1980 T-60 Natural with Toaster pick-ups and am learning about the tone/pickup controls.

One thing I noticed, is that when I dial the neck pickup tone control from 10 to7.5, the guitar hum-buckers kick-in, as they should. When I do the same thing with the bridge pickup, the volume begins decreasing... this seems wrong (the volume control for the bridge pickup will also reduce the volume as it should).

Is this operation proper? If not, where should I look first... the tone pot? The bridge pick-up?

K Harlan

Re: Tone Control Reduces Volume?

Postby K Harlan » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:54 pm

Wish I could help you with that. I'm surprised you haven't gotten some speculation yet from our more knowledgeable members. Hang in There!
Kevin

''83 T-60, Patriot, Jim Adkins Tele, Homebuilt Strat (not by me), Marvel Archtop, Gibson flattop, Epiphone Mandobird, and a number of guitars that come and go...

strummer

Postby strummer » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:18 am

K Harlan wrote:Wish I could help you with that. I'm surprised you haven't gotten some speculation yet from our more knowledgeable members. Hang in There!

Maybe some speculation from one of our less knowledgeable members will provoke some comment from whoever it is you are referring to, Kevin.

We can theorize there's a short in the wiring of the tone pot such that the coil cut function of the tone pot is rolling off both coils of the neck pickup. You could non-destructively test that theory by connecting alligator clip jumper wires to each of the lugs of the existing neck tone pot (without disconnecting them from the pickup leads), connect the other end of the three jumper wires to the proper lugs of a brand new tone pot, set the original pot to 10, set the new pot to 10, and then see if the same effect occurs when rolling off the new pot.

If you get the same effect, you can then eliminate a tone pot problem from the troubleshooting and move on to the next step.

Frank N. Peavey
Site Admin

Postby Frank N. Peavey » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:39 am

When it comes to wiring and troubleshooting wiring there can't be anyone less knowledgeable than I am. I say the magic smoke leaked out from under the pickguard. ;)
Tony
ITOC #05-00013

T-63, 5 T-60s, Hydra, Mantis LT, Mystic, Odyssey, 3 Patriot tremolos, Patriot Bass, 2 Predators, 2 Raptor I, Razer, Reactor, Retro Fire, 3 Rockmasters, 2 Bandits, Backstage, Vypyr 30, Vypyr VIP 2.

jethro

Postby jethro » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:59 pm

I am terrible at anything working with the innards of a guitar. I would think, however, that if worse comes to worse the best option would be unwire the pots and start afresh and place the wires where you know they should go. If it doesn't work right then, Gremlins did it.

K Harlan

Postby K Harlan » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:58 pm

Steve and Jethro's suggestions both sound like good options. I think we all agree the tone control should not decrease the volume in any circumstance, so checking the wiring should certainly narrow the possibilities. A poor or incorrect connection, bad tone pot...?
Kevin

''83 T-60, Patriot, Jim Adkins Tele, Homebuilt Strat (not by me), Marvel Archtop, Gibson flattop, Epiphone Mandobird, and a number of guitars that come and go...

chiptodd

Postby chiptodd » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:12 am

I can't agree with the notion that you shouldn't lose, at least, some bit of volume when you use the tone control. This type of tone control is called a "loser system" since you can only achieve the bass sound by the tone control rationing the amount of treble frequencies that are allowed to flow through the tone capacitor to ground. As you bleed off trebles, the bass frequencies stand out more. Different value capacitors allow different frequencies to pass through them and the tone pot governs the amount of those trebles that get shunted to ground. Treble sound is just the unfiltered flow of whatever the pickups put out and the treble frequencies just stand out over the bass frequencies.

Active systems, (usually battery-powered), can boost selected frequencies.
Chip
Chip Todd, (409) 354-9094 Scam filter active, so give ID
208 Dover Lane, Friendswood, TX 77546
chiptoddguitars@gmail.com

strummer

Postby strummer » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:47 am

Now that someone with actual knowledge -- Mr. Chip Todd -- has been heard from, I'd like to hear from the original poster.

Is there a volume loss akin to using the volume knob or is it just the inevitable, frequency-based volume loss Chip describes?

Return to “General Discussion”