Newbie with an Oldie (Again)

Let's talk guitars! Show us pictures of your projects, new acquisitions and future hopefuls to join your herd.
Moukari

Re: Newbie with an Oldie (Again)

Postby Moukari » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:50 am

LDH® wrote:Sooooo I picked up this ridiculously heavy, unbalanced monstrosity again last night, sat down in my favorite chair and gave it an honest go. It has the lowest string height of any guitar in my collection and fretting chords anywhere on the neck it seems to just read your mind. Outside of that rhythm style of playing I just cannot gel with this guitar anymore than I did all those years ago. I'm just not adaptable enough to make it work properly... It takes a thin pick and a very light touch to make it ring clear and I have the worst time slipping off the fretboard on both E strings when going for individual notes rather than chords. The narrow fretboard with the strings so close to the edge leaves very little room for error and I MAKE A LOT OF ERRORS...

That being said it has an amazing tone and sustain and letting arpeggios ring out is definitely a strong point for it. I added some moderate flanger through one of the preamps and it was auditory nirvana (not to be confused with the band and their irregular tunings :) )

In other news I recently picked up an Open Box Charvel with the compound neck radius. Absolutely brilliant neck design. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but you owe it to yourself to at least try one of these necks if you haven't already.

Next up I have a 2006 MIM HSS Strat I am giving some love. It will be my first Stratocaster with a Humbucker ever which interests me for testing new tones, but I really just want a new guitar to modify and personalize...

That Charvel is pretty sexy - I can think of one forum member who's going to want one in that color...
- Dave

Proud owner of way too many guitars...

LDH®

Postby LDH® » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:57 pm

Just picked up this Vintage Ultra Lightweight Japanese Super Strat

Frank N. Peavey
Site Admin

Postby Frank N. Peavey » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:31 pm

That purple is outrageous! In the 80s I played in a band with a guy that had a purpleburst LP Custom that I adored.
Tony
ITOC #05-00013

T-63, 5 T-60s, Hydra, Mantis LT, Mystic, Odyssey, 3 Patriot tremolos, Patriot Bass, 2 Predators, 2 Raptor I, Razer, Reactor, Retro Fire, 3 Rockmasters, 2 Bandits, Backstage, Vypyr 30, Vypyr VIP 2.

K Harlan

Postby K Harlan » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:00 pm

Nice grain, and AMAZING paint job - beautiful!
Kevin

''83 T-60, Patriot, Jim Adkins Tele, Homebuilt Strat (not by me), Marvel Archtop, Gibson flattop, Epiphone Mandobird, and a number of guitars that come and go...

LDH®

Postby LDH® » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:25 pm

Finally got my Hot Rod Strat back from the Luthier. All new wiring & Dimarzio components, pots etc and freshly set-up specifically for 1/2 step down tuning

This one is the surprise though... I had no idea what I was getting when I bought it, but it is amazing. Superlight body and fast neck with a really thin profile. It is just weird all the way around, but plays so well as long as you put in the effort to do it correctly. It doesn't like a mediocre attempt you gotta commit and it rewards you

K Harlan

Postby K Harlan » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:29 pm

"It is just weird all the way around, but plays so well as long as you put in the effort to do it correctly. It doesn't like a mediocre attempt you gotta commit and it rewards you "

I've heard that said about playing Lollar pickups. They amplify all mistakes and clumsiness. Also reminds me of an ex or two...
Kevin

''83 T-60, Patriot, Jim Adkins Tele, Homebuilt Strat (not by me), Marvel Archtop, Gibson flattop, Epiphone Mandobird, and a number of guitars that come and go...

Return to “Guitar Talk”