Tone dropping out

This is where we discuss anything and everything...well, except for politics and religion. Find some other board for those arguments.
pjtrenthem

Tone dropping out

Postby pjtrenthem » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:46 am

Just received a T-60 for Christmas-came from a pawn shop-pretty sure it came out of an attic. Soon as it's plugged in, tone in both rhythm and lead pickups is very clean and clear. After played a while, tone drops out and gets muddy and weak. Any source for an electroncs spec sheet? Not much of a tech, but I could resolder in new cap/resistors if I knew what values to buy. Thanks for any assistance.

walterdc

Re: Tone dropping out

Postby walterdc » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:05 pm

Hello and welcome aboard! Congrats on the T60.

A couple of things to try b before you start changing parts. First clean all off the electronics, Pots, jack and switches if possible. For the jack you can use a wire brush that is used to clean a pistol or rifle barrel. If you dont have one, they are very cheap, available at most sporting goods or Was-Mart stores. They are good to have around for just such an occasion. A .22 cal will work a 9mm or .38 will work but be a bit tight. Simply insert it into the jack and brush it in and out a few times to clean the contacts. Electronics cleaner can be sprayed into the pots while working the pots through their full range a few times. Brake cleaner works in a pinch but keep it away from the finish if you use it on a lacquer finished guitar. DeOxit or some other similar brand electronics cleaner will work. Alcohol will work too if you can get in inside the pot. Its unlikely that you have a bad cap or resistor unless they are physically damaged.

You can find a wiring diagram on the home page of this site. If you go to t60mafia.com, the picture of the 2 t60s is there. There is a link to MODS that has a diagram with component values. Also check out Chips Corner on the home page while you are looking around. There is some pretty cool stuff and some interesting information as well that Chip has shared.

Hope this helps, if not, let us know and we'll see what we can come up with.

Walter
ITOC# 10-00254 2 custom Peavey t60's, and assorted other guitars, hand built Trinity tweed amp

K Harlan

Postby K Harlan » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:17 pm

Welcome, PJ!

You'll find a lot of useful information here and very helpful, friendly advice as well as some occasional silliness. :)

We enjoy pictures of your T-60, amps, and anything else you might want to toss out here.

Did you find the pawn shop T, or someone else, like Santa, perhaps? We love a good story and please don't let the truth get in the way!
Kevin

''83 T-60, Patriot, Jim Adkins Tele, Homebuilt Strat (not by me), Marvel Archtop, Gibson flattop, Epiphone Mandobird, and a number of guitars that come and go...

pjtrenthem

Postby pjtrenthem » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:08 am

Lots of good info! I appreciate it!! A story?? Told the wife where the 60 was (in a rough part of Memphis). She came home traumatized. She's never been exposed to my people. OK, I'll try to take photos. . . I have three 60s, a T-15, some other T. .. can't remember . .. one 60 I bought from a fellow who purchased it and an amp from the factory in Meridian.

Return to “General Discussion”